Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 19:48:11 -0400
Judith Presto said:

>{{That total cholesterol reading is very low, and there are
>epidemiological studies that correlate low cholesterol with
>increased death rates from suicide, accident, and homicide. ...
>
>>If what you are saying is true, one could also conclude that there is a
>relationship between diet and cholesterol, and that people with these kinds
>of problems are eating a crappy diet...which would mean that the ideal
>Japanese diet high in rice and soy is a crappy diet (which we already know)
>and maybe that's why the suicide rates are high here?'

Perhaps Hara Kiri (ritual suicide in Japan) was induced by nutritonal
deficiency (lack of cholesterol).  Also, research I've looked into shows
that the typical soy intake in Japan amounts to only 1/3 to 1 ounce per day.
 It is American advertisers, marketers, and vegetarian advocates who give
the mistaken impression that Asians eat a soy-based diet.

Don