C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 14:32:22 -0400
Hi Kyle,

> Wow!  Does Amber's hip story ever sound familiar!  Is her leg rotated at
the
> hip???  knee???  ankle???  In or out?

   Her leg does turn out and her foot points of to the side. I don't know of
its at the hip, knee ankle ot what - its points out.

> So what the surgeons are looking at is detaching the musculature, rotating
> the femoral head and then doing the re-attachment, right?  Cast to the
> waist?

     Well, we are asking some questions here I don't have answers to yet - I
got a second opinion - now we go I guess for the third - after I get a
referral from her pediatrician. Then we get his take on it and how he
proposes to fix it - I still have other options of places to take her. What
I know at this point - bone has worked its way out of poistion in the
socket - it is damaging the bone of the socket - and needs to be realigned -
( as does my sanity at this point)!!

> I can speak to the other--if she waits and doesn't have anything done.  In
> my case, there was a period of about 10 years (say 23-33) when I had
pretty
> good hip pain.  Same DX as Amber.  When I hit 35 "that" pain started to
> subside.  Seems that the soft tissues in the socket gradually eroded until
> the joint was "bone-on-bone".  All the cycling that I did in my thirties
> polished the femoral head until it was smooth as glass.  No more pain at
> that point.

  Well, my concern is more for when she is female- women when they get
pregnant our hips migrate to accomdate the baby - becasue my hip was bady
damaged when I was young - I had immense amounts of difficulty walking after
this happened to accomodate Amber. We have different stresses on our bodies
due the gender difference - its incredible how much you have to take in
account when making decisions.

> She's got seven months or so of school, right?  Are you going to try to
wait
> until school's out?

            If it can wait that long - it will.

                                       Brightest Blessings