From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 21:19:35 -0600
KATHRYN P ROSENTHAL wrote:

> This is one of the things that concerns me the most.  I grew some of my own
> food this summer and I'm quite sure that some/all of the seeds I bought were
> genetically altered. I also buy small plants from local nurserys for some
> veggies, and they are probably not "pure" either.

There are some excellent seed companies out there.  Two are:
Seeds of Change  (call 1 888 762 7333 for catalog)
Seed Savers Exchange (call 319-382-5990 or write them at 3076 North Winn
   Road, Decorah IA 52101

> Does anyone know if the pesticides on apples/pears can be removed by
> scrubbing them with soap & water??  I hate to throw away the peels.

Scrubbing helps, but why not buy organic apples?  Should be widely
available.  Tastes 10 times better and costs only twice as much.

> O.K., I'll stop complaining.

No, keep complaining.  Complain to the USDA that they're protecting the
chemical companies and letting the consumers be poisoned.

Lynnet