From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 16:36:41 -0600
Don Wiss wrote:

actually gave synopses of some articles that are contrary to Neanderthin
principles, for some reason that I cannot fathom.

> Newsgroup: sci.med.nutrition
> Subject: The Myth of the Paleolithic Diet Exposed!
> ... The facts point out that cavemen ate
> mostly plant foods.  And, that meat eating was seasonal.

During the ice age and in northern winters, it is patently obvious that
plant eating was seasonal, rather than meat eating.  You don't need a degree
in paleoanthropology to figure this out.

> TITLE:  Animal v. plant foods in human diets and health: is the historical
> record unequivocal? [In Process Citation]
> AUTHORS:  Nestle M
> ...This consensus is based on
> research relating dietary factors to chronic disease risks, and to
> observations of exceptionally low chronic disease rates among people
> consuming vegetarian, Mediterranean and Asian diets.

I don't believe this for a minute.  Obesity and general ill-health are
common among vegetarians, especially vegans.  And I have no reason
to believe that Asians do not suffer from chronic illness.

> TITLE:  From the Miocene to olestra: a historical perspective on fat

> consumption.
> AUTHORS:  Garn SM
> Overall, fat reductions to less than
> 30% may be facilitated by no-fat or low-fat substitutes or texturizers or
> (perhaps more effectively) by increased intakes of fiber and calcium and
> greater reliance on fats that are poorly absorbed
> because of their stearate content.

Since people like the taste of fat, and fat is available to them now, let's make

them eat artificial fat instead.  No-fat and low-fat substitutues and
texturizers
have contributed to the amazing increase of obesity in this country in the
last decade.

> TITLE:  [Dietary habits and the state of the human oral cavity in the
> prehistoric age]
> AUTHORS:  Kee CD
> Millstones, which began to be used in this
> age, and livestock bones were found. Where these items were discovered, 23
> maxillae and mandibles with teeth and a total of 231 separate teeth of
> Neolithic period human beings were reported. However, there are no records
> indicating dental caries, but some records describe severe abrasion.

Grain milled by stones retains a lot of grit, obviously causing severe abrasion.

> Anyone genuinely interested in diet, nutrition, and nutritional
> supplements should take a strong stand against Nutrition Quackery,
> Food Faddism, and Nutritional Supplements Quackery anywhere
> they see it.  If you don't, no one will take your interests seriously.
>
> Quackery is the promotion of a health claim that doesn't have any
> basis in published scientific research.

What this statement says to me (and after a little browsing in the web sites)::
"There is only one truth, and it is the truth promulgated by the tight
little community that gets research dollars from big industry and publishes
in the tight little journals that only publish works that benefit their
advertisers.  5000 years of Chinese medicine: just quackery.  Herbs:
just self-delusion.  Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Yoga, all a bunch of claptrap."

Come on, people.  There is more truth than the tiny bit accepted by
the Western medical journals.  There are many ways to good health.
Hippocrates: "first do no harm" is the first precept forgotten by the
modern drug industry, which hospitalizes or kills  hundreds of thousands
of people a year, by official and undebated record.

Talk to the hundreds of people reading this list.  How many have suffered
from the medical establishment?  How many have improved their health
on the promulgated high-carbo, low fat, and seasonal or no meat eating?
How many have improved their health by using Olestra?

Lynnet (sorry, I don't usually get carried away)