CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
frank scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 1999 14:01:54 -0800
Robert G. Grimes wrote:

> "As one of my friends from Europe (Switzerland) put it, "It
> is almost impossible to avoid trouble when traveling in  the Balkans, any where with anybody.  I waited for over two
> hours to be served breakfast in a Serbian cafe and, finally,left utterly exasperated only to be cursed on the way out because the owner had just begun to fix my order.  The cafe owner called a policeman and complained that I had left'without paying for the food I had ordered,' and the policeman caught up with me and cursed me for leaving the
> cafe.  I explained what happened and the policeman
> physically beat me up and stole my all of my money and left me on the side of the road!  There is no way one can travel there safely."   He said he was robbed repeatedly there by all types, Croats, Serbians and Albanians."

whew! This tops the tresy person's "dialog" about seattle, in which
anecdotal conversation was allegedly revealed, in detail, about an event
which supposedly happened between a rational liberal and an irrational
something or other...viva science, logic, critical thinking and facts
taking precedence over opinions and anecdotes...

This is the kind of stuff a lynch mob might hear to get them
started...what really does upset me, however, as I must admit, is
waiting two hours for an order in a restaurant...I would definitely
support carpet bombing any people or nation who kept me waiting that
long...what is this world coming to? Tourists just cannot find good
service...maybe they should stay home, and abuse the local servant-scum
class...

fs

fs