From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 20:57:43 -0700
On Saturday, September 25, 1999, 4:04 PM,  Jose E. Dominguez
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> I know I saw a post the other day about this but lost it.
>
> What were the possible causes that bring up the SUWIN error message
> while loading Windows?
>
> System has a Cyrix chip and I can bypass the error by disabling the
> internal cache but I think a bad HD was mentioned as a possible cause as
> well.

This GPF error MAY appear during installation after you click the
notification regarding the acceptance of the terms in the End User License
Agreement.  It is caused by memory and hard drive access problems related to
one of the following:

  a. an incorrectly configured memory management software.

  b. a GSI BIOS.

  c.  a HD that required double buffering, but double buffering is not
enabled on your computer.

  d.  a Cirrus Logic video card driver that is incompatible with the WIN98
setup.

  e.  an antivirus setting enabled in your computer's CMOS settings.

Resolution:

   1.  reconfigure the memory management software so that it will allow
WIN98 setup to finish.  Refer to the documentation for your particular
memory management software for info.

   2.  If your computer has a GSI BIOS, contact your computer manufacturer's
for info.  If you are not sure what kind of BIOS your computer has, watch as
your computer boots up to see the name of the BIOS.

   3.  If upgrading from Windows 95, print a System Summary report to see
what BIOS your PC uses. Click Start|Settings|Control Panel|double click
System.  In the dialogue box that appears, click the Device Manager tab then
click the Print button to access the Print dialogue box.  Click select
System Summary and then OK.

   4.  Enable double buffering for your HD and consult the documentation or
the manufacturer's technical support dept for assistance.

   5.  Restart the computer, booting into DOS, and run the WIN98 setup from
MS-DOS.

   6.  Disable any antivirus programs before running setup.

Note:  Info MAY not be applicable to "all" Windows 9.x
installations/versions and you also may want to check
http://www.microsoft.com/hwtest/hcl/ since you mentioned that you had a
Cyrix CPU chip.  HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth

                            The NOSPIN Group