From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:38:02 -0400
On Wed, 13 Oct 1999, Robert McGlohon wrote:

> Have you considered trying a high-repetition regimen?  I read somewhere (in
> a muscle mag, actually, <blush>) that high repetition, lower-weight
> exercises release more growth hormone, whatever that does for you.

When I started out my routine was more high-rep.  But I had the
idea that the GH release is triggered by the fast-twitch fibers,
which are mainly involved in the low-rep, high-intensity
activity.  My current typical routine involves the use of Cybex
machines, two sets on each exercise.  The first set has the most
weight I can move for about 5 reps, swearing and eye-popping.
Then I rest for about a minute, drop the weight about 25% and do
another set to failure, typically at about 12 reps.  Then on to
the next exercise.  When I finish the second set, the muscles
feel weak and rubbery, and the slightly tender feeling lasts
about 4 days.

I'm not interested in going to the gym more than once a week.
It's not *that* addictive.  On the other days I do some walking
with sprints thrown in, similar to what Troy described.  I have
to be careful though, since there seems to be a weak spot in my
right hip that the sprinting can make sore.  Sometimes I jog, but
never more than two miles.

> Those high reps can REALLY burn and I found that my one-rep max shot up
> considerably.
>
> Of course, this could be simply because I "shocked" my system be trying
> something new.  Muscle-building is a lot like weight-loss in that the body
> seems adept at preserving the status quo.

I agree.  I try to throw in change-up workouts when I can.
Sometimes using free weights or pulley weights, or doings
SuperSlow sets.  But none of this pushes my body fat below 18%.

Todd Moody