From:
Robert McGlohon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 19:41:36 -0500
> I have been lifting weights for a couple of years now, and the
> increase in muscle mass is clear.  I added about 10 lbs. of
> muscle the first year; after that I leveled off and as far as I
> can tell have not added much since then.  My training scheme is
> high-intensity, low-repetition, once a week.
>
> Todd Moody

Todd,

Have you considered trying a high-repetition regimen?  I read somewhere (in
a muscle mag, actually, <blush>) that high repetition, lower-weight
exercises release more growth hormone, whatever that does for you.

Since I'm not really interested in building muscle, in and of itself, I've
been trying to get both an aerobic and anaerobic kick from my
weight-lifting.  I generally use a three-day split, two or three body parts
a day. I start with a low weight and do between 25 and 50 reps on the first
exercise, then up the weight and lower the reps for 3 or 4 sets, trying not
to rest more than a minute or so between sets.

Those high reps can REALLY burn and I found that my one-rep max shot up
considerably.

Of course, this could be simply because I "shocked" my system be trying
something new.  Muscle-building is a lot like weight-loss in that the body
seems adept at preserving the status quo.

Robert