Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:30:59 +0200
Hi

Your problem was caused by leaving this printer to sit for so long, Epson
printers don't like this as it gives the ink in the nozzles time to dry and
thus clog.
The cartridge will be wet, as when it is seated in the printer it is sealed,
but the nozzles aren't really as there is a small amount of air in the
sponge below them.
There are a few tricks to unclog Epson printers and they range from mild to
extreme. I will outline a few and should mine fail email me for the URL of a
mailing list specifically for Epsons.

B4 we begin, be warned that you will probably end up using up your current
cartridges so go and buy sum more.

1. Run more cleaning cycles (max 10) the printer keeps track of how many and
when you run these, the more you run and if you run them one after the other
the printer increases the amount of ink used and pressure.

1.1. Print a test to see witch colours aren't working.

2. Go and create 1/2 A4 pages of pure colour (use the colour that isn't
printing)
CMYK = Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black

2.1. Print a test to see witch colours aren't working.

3. Try solution again (max 5)

3.1. Print a test to see witch colours aren't working.

4. Switch the printer off at the mains, GENTLY pull the carriage out of the
home position and place a small amount of Windex on the pads, gently push
the carriage back (don't push to it too far in, rather be 2 far out than 2
far in) switch the printer back on, it should now reposition itslef onto the
home position, switch it off (just on the printer, not the mains) and leave
it for 7hrs.

4.1. Print a test to see witch colours aren't working.

5. Retry solution #2

6. Email me for that URL :-)

Note: If you are not to confident about solution 4 then send me an email and
I'll explain a bit more.

Cheers
Kevin Hains
Cape Town
South Africa
Http://users.lia.net/hains/
Never fight with a dragon for thou art crunchy and goest well with cheese

>I have an Epson Stylus 500 inkjet that sat unused a few months with
cartridges that were already pretty old. Now it won't print yellow, altho
the cartridge seems to have wet ink in it. I tried a number of cleaning
cycles and printed a number of pages of text in yellow, to no avail. If I'm
correct that the ink has gummed up between the cartridge mount and the jets,
is there a way to clean it out? I'm reasonably good mechanically but not at
fine eye/hand stuff.
>Many thanks
>Bob Raikes

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,