From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:22:27 -0800
On 17 Sep 99, at 17:33, R.W. O'Dowd wrote:

> [...]

  These are at two different "levels".  If you switch the
partitioning between 4x2GB partitions and 1x8GB partition, (a) you're
not changing the overall drive size, which is still 8GB, and (b)
you're not changing the drive "geometry", the heads/cylinders/sectors
specification which the partition information is expressed in terms
of.
  If you install an 8GB drive in a system has the "2GB drive size"
limitation, you cannot create four 2GB partitions on a drive -- you
can only create ONE.  And the mapping of interface
heads/cylinders/sectors to the underlying hardware is not necessarily
the same as if the drive were configured as an 8GB drive -- when you
move it to a new system that CAN see all 8GBs, it may only be with a
configuration of cylinders and/or sectors that is different from the
2GB mapping.  [So Partition Magic cannot help you -- recognizing the
old 2GB partition requires a different BIOS setting than the 8GB
configuration.]

  This *may* have been more common in breaking the 504MB barrier than
the 2GB or 8GB barriers, but odds are good that Jun is correct, and
Roger's "correction" isn't.

David G

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org