Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 23:09:29 +1000
"R.W. O'Dowd" wrote:

> > I'm sorry, but this way doesn't work. Once the harddisk has been using as
> 8G, it
> > will stay at 8G (even fdisk couldn't get rid of it!!!), unless you use
> some kind
> > of software to Destroy old partition then rebuild partition based on new
> BIOS. I
> > had been through this few times, unless I do a "wipe disk", the wrong
> partition
> > size will never be gone.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Jun Qian
>
> This is not correct.  Using a boot disk with 16 bit versions of format and
> fdisk (Dos) you will be able to create 4 2 GB partitions that can be
> converted at any time to one 8 GB FAT 32 partition using the 32 bit versions
> of format and fdisk (Win 98).  If and when you upgrade to a mobo that can
> recognise larger HD's, you can create one FAT 32 partition using all of the
> space on your HD.  Sami's original assertion IS correct.
>
> Utilities such as PQMagic are an excellent way of adjusting your partitions
> without losing data (usually!).  Partitions are far from permanent, as I
> have learnt to my cost on occasion!

There must be misunderstanding here. What he was saying is to use 10G HDD as 8G,
not 8 + 2. As you said, you can partition a 8G HDD into 4 2G FAT16, but it is
still 8G, not 2G!

I have been through this situation number of times, every times my clients try
to use large harddisk on old computer, I have to pray they don't do the wrong
thing. Try this: find a computer which doesn't support large harddisk, attach a
large harddisk, partition it into ONE partition (100% usage), of course the size
is incorrect. Now format it. then take it to a new computer which support large
harddisk, use Fdisk to delete partition, try to receate partition, what will you
see? the max size is still incorrect!!! It remembers what is was.
If you have difficulty to find two computers, do this: on a moden computer, do a
fresh win95b/98 OEM setup from unpartitioned harddisk, when it asks to "enable
large harddisk support", answer "no", win95b/98 will auto partition and format
the harddisk. after the installation is finished, check the harddisk, it will be
partitioned as 2G FAT16, usage 100%. Now, go back to fdisk, the mistake will not
be fixed!!!

That is the problem. a 10G harddisk can not be used as a single 8G HDD, it can
be 8+2, 6+2+2, ... whatever, but NOT a single 8G. Plus, to partition a 10G
harddisk into 8+2, the bios has to be able to see the whole 10G at first place.

To fix this problem, the only way works for me is to "wipe" the partition info,
reset the harddisk to empty. You can do this with either 3rd party software or
hack the boot sector/partition table.

Regarde

Jun Qian

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: