NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Suzanne DiPiero <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:50:58 -0700
Joelle,
It took me a long time before I figured out what I
could and could not eat.  Here is what I avoid,
including the obvious:
Milk, cream, butter, margarine except Fleishmanns
low-fat or salt-free, whey, anything that says casien
or casienate, and any type of cheese.  I don't often
see it, but lactose is sometimes included in
ingredients.

Your tolerance may be different than mine, and you may
be able to have some cheeses or foods that don't have
much dairy content.  I've tried Lactaid pills, but it
actually makes my reaction prolonged, and worse in the
end.  I'm just severely lactose, whey and casien
intolerant.

I look for foods that are labeled Kosher-Parve or
Pareve.  As for chocolate, I buy semi-sweet chips.
Usually, the store brands are Kosher.  I've gotten
used to the taste, although I really miss milk
chocolate.

I don't know abut goat's milk, but I've never heard
that it is lactose-free.  I buy Farm Rich non-dairy
creamer.  It's one of the very few non-dairy creamers
that is truly non-dairy.  You can also buy soy milk or
rice milk.

There are so many foods, such as bread and cereal,
which I never expected to contain dairy.  It took a
while, but now I'm really careful about reading
labels.  I also have to watch out when other people
cook for me.  I've had my sister make chicken using
Ceasar dressing, but didn't tell me until afterwards.
I had a friend recently make something with butter.
She knew I was LI, but forgot that butter would be
included.  I also ask anyone whose make tomoto sauce
because some people put cheese in it.

It's tough, bu you'll eventually figure it out, either
by trial and error, or by asking questions of this
list.

Good luck and feel free to e-mail me off-list if you
have any questions.

Suzanne