CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Diane Yoder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:59:21 -0400

I am sorry it has taken me so long to post this summary.

First the Velveeta cheese issue. I had searched the archives and could not
find a definitive answer. I'm still not sure I have one now. The thing that
bothers me the most is that I still don't know what the suspect ingredient
is and so now I'm doubting my ability to read labels. My son doesn't have
'reactions' to anything he eats ( he never has - his sole symptom is short
stature) so I can't rely on that as a test. Based on the responses I
received I think I will first try the Ragu cheese sauce and if he won't eat
that, try velveeta.

Here are portions of the responses I received:

>I've been told that Velveeta is GF; HOWEVER, it is produced/distributed by
>Kraft, and is not on their GF list.  Kraft's GF list is very limited.  I
>talked to someone there the other day and what she told me is that they
>change vendors of some ingredients so often, that they can't (I think won't)
>put some things on their GF list--either because vendors won't provide
>information about their ingredients being GF, or because the list would be
>outdated too quickly.

>I spoke with the Kraft Consumer Relations folks recently.  Velveeta is not
>on the GF list because the frequently change the emulsifiers.  They do not
>produce these various emulsifiers, therefore in being completely
>conservative, they will not guarantee it is GF.We've used it for the last
>1-1/2 years with an extremely sensitive child andhe has never reacted to
>Velveeta,  ... yet.
>
>I consider Velveeta to be ok.  The problem is that Kraft foods will
>not confirm the status of most of their foods, as they use ingredients from
>suppliers that cannot be confirmed.  I use several Kraft products with no ill
>effects.  However, the gf status is iffy.

>Have you tried Ragu cheese sauce.  Both varieties are gf and my daughter
>loves them in macaroni and cheese.

>I think the problem with Velveta is Kraft -- they only send out a very short
>gf list and Velveta is not on it -- don't know why. I have been using Ragu's
>cheese creations poured over gf noodles.

As far as ice cream goes, a comprehensive list would be huge. The best
advice I got was to call the manufacturer. Along those lines, I did call
Hannaford about their freeze-pops and was told they are okay.

Many thanks to all those who responded.

Diane Yoder (mom to Harrison)
Albany, NY