From:
"Joan C. Janicki" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 20:03:05 -0400

I hate to bring up the controversial subject of Y2K - but, in light of
the recent hurricanes and storms we have been having on the East Coast,
that have knocked out electricity for several days, I was wondering if
anyone has given any thought to coping with celiac disease during a period
of no power, water, gas, or access to health food stores?

There were members in our support group who lost power during a
thunderstorm for several days, and begrudgingly found restaurants in
other parts of town where they had access to limited food.  In a worst
case Y2K senario, this might not even be an option.

I know the subject has been raised on this list regarding earthquake
preparedness, and  the various food options  that don't require cooking
or refrigeration, and it is possible that the same situation might apply
to any possible Y2K problems.

My goal in this email is  NOT  to start an open discussion of whether Y2K
problems will even happen, but to determine what options we do have in
case there are obstacles to maintaining our standard, gluten free
lifestyles for varying periods of time.

If anyone has suggestions or comments on durable food we can eat that
doesn't require heating or toasting for longer periods of time than
just a few days, I'd like to hear from you.

I am the newsletter editor for my area support group, and the issue of
Y2k is one that I would like to raise with the  group
before the end of the year.  In my research, I have not found any
information addressing Y2K and special diets.

Thank you.  I will summarize to the list.

Joany Janicki, Washington, DC