From:
Troy Gilchrist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 08:50:08 -0500
>It's about adaptation, increasingly nudging your body to rely more and more
> and fat and less and less on carbs.  It can be done.  I've read studies
> about runners who better on a higher fat diet.  The problem is that most
> studies are short term: one week on SAD/High Carb Diet then one week on
> low-carb; not enough time for your enzyme pathways to gear up for and
shift
> over to efficiently burning fat for fuel.  For some it can take 4 weeks,
for
> some even 3 months to completely retool and run smoothly on fat as the
> primary fuel.

In a recent study at the State University of New York, endurance athletes
were put on three different diets: low-fat, moderate fat, and high-fat.
Every test subject ate according to each of the three dietary regimens for 4
weeks.  It was  discovered that it took 4 weeks for the athlete's bodies to
adjust from low- to high-fat intake. The results showed that the athletes
consuming the diet highest in fat (45%) displayed the best results in all
test categories and had the best immune systems. Those interested in reading
more about this study should take this reference to their local library:

Raloff, J. "High-Fat Diets Help Athletes Perform." SCIENCE NEWS, vol 149, no
18 (May 4, 1996) 287.

Hope this is of help.

Troy Gilchrist