From:
Wally Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 16:03:27 -0700
> Basketball and soccer both let you sit out on the
> bench
> for much of the game.  Even Jordan doesn't play a
> whole game.

Perhaps. However, many players log huge minutes during
games and when they do stop I doubt you could really
call it rest. (Football and baseball are, of course,
another story :) I can recall during basketball games
in my youth that, other than stopping to catch my
breath, the only REAL rest I got was at halftime.

> Excersize produces oxidants that need to be cleaned
> out.

That's true. However, let's cover that point in a
minute.

> >recall seeing a documentary about some African HG's
> >who literally ran everywhere they went. Out on the
> >hunt they may have run for 3 or 4 hours straight -
>
> Probably with frequent stops and changes of pace.
> Afte the hunt they probably rest for days.

On the contrary, the host said that these people often
ran all day long, stopping only long enough to stalk
and shoot at their game. Since their game was small
animals (rabbits, rodents and such), they pretty much
hunted every single day. They'd carry the small
animals with them when they RAN back to their (camp?
village?). I wish I could recall more about the show.
It was pretty fascinating. If I saw it today (after
learning about paleo) I would probably tape it.

> I still think it is better to do very intense
> workouts
> and rest a lot.

I agree with you completely. I currently go to the gym
twice weekly for high intensity weight workouts, and
supplement that with frequent walks, swimmimg,  and/or
"casual" sports. I am trying to avoid the toll taken
on the body that comes from years of pounding by
running, jumping up and down, etc. (plus I hate
running :)

Keep in mind, though (and here is my point about the
oxidants), that high intensity exercise also produces
oxidants, sometimes in greater quantities than low
intensity exercise. And, in my opinion, what a
tri-athlete does (shorter distances in multiple
events) is probably much more intense than what a
marathoner does.

P.S. - I like your points about tolerance in the
marriage regarding paleo.