Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:59:53 GMT
>Quoth    Diana Bauer <[log in to unmask]>
>
>...I don't hunt, although I support the rights of hunters
>who actually eat what they kill.
>
>Some time ago I saw an article about research concerning the biochemical
>reaction of plants to damage. (I wish I could remember where.) In it, one of
>the researchers said that broccoli "screamed" when cut. Now we're not
>supposed to eat plants either?
>
>I guess that if we were truly compassionate, we would stop eating both meats
>and plants and slowly wither away.

The way around this might be found in what the more traditional
animist Navajo/Dine' might have to say: say a prayer to the
intended prey, thanking it for its life and how its flesh or body
will be used to help/sustain/save the recipient -- possibly too
how it will be with its kindred where they all go in the end.

This flinging of darts misses the point of acknowledging the
bonds of life to life... something not likely to
change until humans are solar-powered (ahh.. but think of all
those hydrogen atoms in the Sun fusing and giving up their
"lives" -- but then the helium created would be thankful).

But we are who we are, which is the point of the paleo thing
and NeanderThin IMO: live up to who you really are, genetically,
biochemically and as part of the Big Picture; don't get
bogged down in idealistic squabbles or tenacious memes.