From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:38:24 GMT
On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:03:50 EDT, Diana Bauer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I wonder about the animal rights advocates who wear Nikes and other stylish
>clothes made in sweat shops in underdeveloped countries. I do not understand
>anyone who is values animals more than they do human beings. I feel that
>their sentiments are misplaced.
>
>That is not to say that I condone cruelty to animals, or blatant misuse of
>them. I do not wear animals furs or hides, with the exception of whatever
>cowhide is in my shoes. I do not believe in animals testing for cosmetic
>products. I do, however, believe in responsible animal testing for medical
>procedures or medicines themselves. No human will die if they can't get
>lipstick. Many would be dead, or will die in the future, if medical animal
>testing is curtailed.

It is interesting to note that Animal Rights was VERY VERY HIP until there was a
clash between the animal rights activists, who want all medical testing on
animals to stop, and AIDS activists (who know that without medical testing on
animals, there is no virus research).

At that point, Hollywood and the other hip folks realized that if came to the
animals dying or themselves dying, there was no question who they would
choose....

--
Cheers,

Ken                         <*>