From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 17:51:25 -0700

It is too early to summarize but I received one post that I feel I must
comment on immediately.  Joan Tuckey (Edmonton) referred me to an article
she wrote which quotes from the Canadian Celiac Association Handbook, 3rd
Edition.

The quotes say clearly that because wines and many spirits do not contain
prolamins - gliadin (wheat), secalin (rye), hordein (barley) and avenin
(oats), they are safe for celiacs.

The article states that sherry and port are safe, even though fortified.  It
states that gin, vodka, rye whisky and scotch whisky are also safe.

The only 'unsafe' beverages are beer and ale, according to this article.

I have a REAL problem with this information.  It does not bear out what my
celiac insides tell me.  Neither does it agree with most other articles I
have read on the subject.

It doesn't fit very well with the concern over vanilla and other
flavourings, many of which are carried in an alcohol base.

I learned a long time ago in science, that just because you have an answer
doesn't mean you have ALL of the answer.  As one who enjoys wine and the
occasional drink of alcohol, I spent a long time carefully checking a lot of
alcoholic beverages, mostly with unpleasant results.  I have been tested for
food allergies and have absolutely none, so I was not reacting to another
substance.  Some of my conclusions were in an earlier post.

The grain alcohol made in Canada is mostly from wheat and it is used in many
ways in the food industry.

I feel that we should not accept the statements that these alcoholic
beverages are safe, but continue to look for further clarification.

Our body of knowledge about gf free foods is continually expanding.  Most of
what I was told when I was first diagnosed 30 years ago proved to be
inaccurate to say the least.  We are still learning and the final word on
the subject is still a long way off.

I got the answer to my question - it is the CCA that is saying that Cdn
wines and spirits are mostly gluten free.  I am looking forward to more

In the meantime folks, there are some gluten free, safe and pleasant
alcoholic beverages out there.  If you want them look carefully.

Jessie in BC