From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 09:43:37 -0700

This product makes a vast improvement in baked goods which are predominantly
rice flours and contain no gluten.

Many recipes call for 1 tsp. to one cup of flour, but I find this more than
necessary. In most recipes, I use 1 tsp to two cups of flour.

Zanthan gum develops its stickiness with beating, similar to the way gluten
develops with kneading.  Unfortunately zanthan sticks to everything and
climbs the beaters even if used in smaller quantities.

I have found that, once the dry and wet ingredients are combined hand mixing
is just as efficient and much less frustrating.

As zanthan is very expensive, it seems a good idea to use less.  I can
assure you that this smaller amount has produced great cakes, biscuits,
muffins and english muffins for me. (All recipes from this list.)

Perhaps someone will find this helpful.

Jessie in BC