From:
Beth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:38:44 -0400

Hi everyone. My apologies in advance if this is a redundant question - I
don't have easy access to the internet right now tp search the archives.

My sister (25) has a 7 week old baby boy, and she is breast-feeding
exclusively. He is growing and seems healthy, except for the malodorous
gas and "stools". He has horrible gas every day, mostly in the evening,
and when he produces anything in his diaper, it smells - worse than you
would think a baby's diaper should.  My sister went off lactose for a
week to see if that was the problem, but it didn't help anything. Could
he be reacting to the gluten in her diet? She is not gluten intolerant. I
am self diagnosed, and the only family history is a great-uncle with
gluten intolerance.  How else could we tell what is bothering him?  He is
gaining weight as usual, and is on the charts at height and weight.
Thanks for any advice. Please, only parents or doctors who are
experienced witht his respond. I am getting married soon, and can't look
through a lot of mail right now!!

Beth in CT