VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dwight Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 03:37:56 PDT

Dear Tom Fowler

You said;

"electromagnetic fields have not been proven to cause any measurable harm"

and;

"All such effects are under the control of the "inverse square" law, which
states that the power induced by a magnetic or electric field is inversely
proportional to the distance from the field generator to the effected body.
if you are 2 inches away, you get the square root of the energy at one inch.
This puts the lie to almost all such effects at distances of 1 or 2 feet."

Unfoutionetly Your argument falls prey to a even more common non scientific
malady, statements that are far to broad.   There is plenty of evidence of
damage done to people who get too close to the screen. High voltage jumps
the gap between the screen, and the body, making a snap that our ears can
hear, and a pinching/burning pain that usually only lasts a second or two,
at the site of impact of the charge.

Most of us are familiar with this from static charges, and it is not
considered as a Really bad thing. The greater damage occurs when the body
repeatedly is exposed to the charge at the same body site, where slowly
small bits of living tissue are electrocuted, and sloth off. After some time
a hole is burned/cut into the body at the site, and it bleeds.

This is continued for as long as the person is forced to repeat the same
action of placing the body part on the screen.  Now as for "inverse square
law," Well that is also over looked by the sighted, and the fully blind
also. We who have residual vision, and use it to the max, must often place
our nose, eyebrow, and or other face parts on the screen to get close enough
to focus the high magnification lenses we must use to read anything.

So when some point to the extremely low energy of any felid, at two feet,
they over look those of us who must touch that same screen. We get a
incredible jolt every time we move on in, starting at over a inch from the
screen and continuing till after we are touching it. We use the body part to
wipe off all of the charge and then we can use it with out any further
pain.

That's when in my case, I would have to stop every few minutes to clean the
screen of blood, so I could see it. That is all obviated with the simple act
of wiping the screen with a paper towel, or some other such device each time
the monitor is turned on.

Good luck, and never give up!

Dwight