From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 05:49:24 GMT
Junk?  Ehhhh....  it's a matter of opinion.  I bought my wife a $11.00
Asound card, and it works great.  Just as good as my SB16 did.  Same on
sound, actually a little better.  Now, my $100.00 SB128 PCI sound card is
much better...  plays midi music like it were a real orchestra.  But, you
get what you pay for.  So, would it be junk?  Well, does she want high-end
wavetables with surround sound type output, or is she willing to settle for
good sound thats o.k. but doesn't exactly rock the house?

Again, the cards are good, and you shouldn't have much trouble with them,
but you just won't get the same quality sound out of them.  That's the
decision that needs to be made.  Good luck.

Kyle

>From: Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: [PCBUILD] Cheap Sound Card Sound Quality?
>Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 20:15:12 -0500
>
>I have been asked to add a sound card to a system owned
>by a friend on a budget.
>
>The local dealer has some sound cards for about $20.  I
>hypothesize that these cards probably would have been
>state-of-the-art five years ago, and, therefore, would do
>fine for her - as opposed to spending nearly $100 for a
>current SB or the like, which would have all sorts of
>bells and whistles that she does not need.
>
>Am I correct, or are these cheapie sound cards likely to
>turn out to be junk?  (Sound-Quality wise.)
>
>(Her system is a P100, 32meg, Windows 3.1, DOS 6.1)

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html