From:
List Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:36:14 -0700
Posted on behalf of : Nicholas [log in to unmask]
 by List Moderator

     From memory (and I had a similar problem recently). Go into System,
Drivers
and look for the yellow question mark next to Other Devices. This showed the
scanner stuff in my case. Remove this device. Restart, and Win98 should pick
up the hardware.
Disclaimer: this is _totally_ from memory.
Regards
Nich in London

Here's the scenario: I had an additional lpt
> port installed with a star laserjet attached; had no more room to add
cards and wanted
> NIC to make small network at home, so removed stand-alone lpt port and
hooked
> switchbox to internal lpt port to switch between laserjet and inkjet.
Removed both lpt ports
> from windows devices, shutdown and turned on to allow win to detect.
Bottom line is
> NIC had too many conflicts, so removed it. Rather than re-install lpt
port, I decided
> to leave switchbox hooked up, removed NIC, and both devices (lpt and
nic)from win
> devices and shut down and allowed win to detect lpt again. Problem comes
in with
> scanner and laserjet. Neither work now. I can't believe they're related
probs.
> Inkjet works fine on lpt port, but laserjet won't, not even plugged
directly to lpt port.
> Win gives "LPT port already in use. Discontinue...." message. No other
progs running
> when this message appears, but inkjet works immediately afterward.
Scanner is
> recognized on SCSI scan at system startup. I believe scanner to be Twain
driver related, but
> have re-loaded win98 on top of existing (as I have bookoo progs installed
and
> don't want to have to re-install), and attempted loading mustek's twain
drivers to no
> avail. Funny  thing is, though, that the scanner works fine using the
mustek scan
> software. It's  only when attempting to use twain that it doesn't even
recognize the
> scanner's there. Any help would be appreciated.

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html