From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 08:57:24 -0600
The AMD K2-6 patch file can be downloaded from The NOSPIN Group
file download pages at:  http://nospin.com/download/004.html

If you have not visited our download pages in a while, we have completely
redesigned them into eight (8) separate pages to make finding files easier.
   http://nospin.com/download

  Bob Wright

At 10:34 AM 09/10/1999 , Ernie Goens wrote:
>On Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:33:20 +0200, Marc  Guise wrote:
>
> >Here's the problem
> >When I boot up my computer (cold boot), I get the error message "Windows
> >Protection Error- You Need to Restart Your Computer" as Windows 95 is about
> >to load. Most warm boots also result in same as well as any windows restart
> >from Dos mode.
> >I can always get into safe mode but I can't find any errors there, altho' I
> >don't really know what I'm looking for.
> >A few days ago I put in a new AMD K6-2 400, and the problem began some time
> >after that, but I don't think it's connected. That's the only change I have
> >made recently.
> >Machine is Win 95, 32 EDO ram.
> >One other point - I'm running the AMD at 66x5.5 (366 MHz) because I can't
> >run the EDO at 100 MHz. (As soon as I get more cash, I'll buy some PC 100)
> >I don't know if this matters, but just in case
> >
> >If anyone has any ideas, I'll be happy to hear...
> >
>This is a link to the knowledge base article quoted below.
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q192/8/41.asp
>
>When you start your Windows 95-based or Windows 95 OEM Service
>Release- based computer that is using an AMD-K6-2 processor that runs
>at a speed of 350 MHz or faster, you may receive one of the following
>error messages:
>
>Device IOS failed to initialize. Windows Protection Error. You must
>reboot your computer.
>
>Windows Protection Error. You must reboot your computer.
>
>The AMD-K6-2 update has been revised to incorporate a newer version of
>Vfbackup.vxd file. For information about this update, please see the
>following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q234/2/59.ASP
>
>To resolve this problem immediately, visit the following Microsoft Web
>site:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads
>Scroll down to the Service Packs section and then click the link to
>download the Windows 95 Update for AMD-K6-2/350.
>
>Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in Microsoft Windows 95
>and OEM Service Release versions 2, 2.1, and 2.5.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html