From:
Brian Coe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 06:43:38 -0700
Kyle:
You are going to need to get a current BIOS on the machine or use the drive
manager software that should come with it.  Were back to the point that
HDDs are progressing faster than PCs again. Instead of the 1024 cylinder
limit your customer will run into the 8.4 gig CHS limit. Without current
BIOS support or a drive manager. Well there is one other solution as well
you can get a current I/O card that will resolve this problem as well.  The
only brand I can think of off the top of my head is Promise but I am
thinking there is at least 1 other card MFG out there that has a card to
resolve this problem.

HTH
Brian Coe
CM Productions

At 09:16 PM 7/15/99 , you wrote:
>O.K. folks.  I have done a little research, but I want to make double sure
>before I give the customer the okeydokey on something.  He has an Award
>BIOS, version 4.51PG, date 12/15/97, PnP version 1.0, DMI version 2.0, ID
>No. FC 01 00, ROM Size 128KB.  Sandra 99 says it supports Enhanced Disk
>Drives.  System is a P120 on a P5I430TX Titanium IB motherboard.
>
>Here's the $20 question.  He wants to add a 10GB or larger drive to the
>system.  As far as I can tell, it shouldn't be a problem.  Anyone know
>better?  Thanks for your input.
>
>Kyle Elmblade

The American Dream does not come to those who fall asleep.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html