From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:23:48 -0500
I am just a lurker on this list for the most part, and don't
have time to join the discussion here. However, I wanted to
post a note here about a number of new articles now on the
web that should be of interest to those interested in
paleodiet research, as well as those who repeatedly
encounter vegetarian misconceptions about evolution and
omnivorous diets. The Beyond Vegetarianism website, for
which I am primary editor, has just opened in full with a
lengthy slate of articles on these issues, and is located
at:

     http://www.beyondveg.com/

Most material is based on scientific sources (predominantly
peer-reviewed) or the experience of long-term vegetarians
and/or ex-vegetarians, including those researching paleodiet
(evolutionary) findings and clinical nutrition as they
relate to these topics.

The site goes "beyond vegetarianism" in several senses:
questioning the usual vegetarian party line; exploring
issues related to diets that go beyond typical
lacto-ovo-vegetarianism (i.e., raw foods, veganism,
fruitarianism); as well as reporting on natural diets such
as instincto and paleolithic diet that go beyond
vegetarianism itself. A partial list of articles:

     Assessing Claims and Credibility in the Realm of Raw
     and Alternative Diets: Who Should You Believe?

     The Calorie Paradox of Raw Veganism.

     Comparing High-Protein/Low-Carbohydrate Diets vs.
     High-Carbohydrate/Low-Fat Diets. (This article is by
     Loren Cordain, Ph.D., collected and edited from his
     numerous Paleodiet listgroup postings, and there are
     three others by him as well.)

     Drawbacks to Relying Exclusively on Clinical Studies of
     Diet. (A critique of protocol effects and perceptual
     filters that prevent awareness of "failure to thrive"
     in the vegetarian movement.)

     Intelligence, Evolution of the Human Brain, and Diet.

     An Ex-Instincto's Guide to Instinctive Eating...and
     crash course for the instinctively perplexed.

     Comparative Anatomy and Physiology Brought Up to Date.

     The Morality of Human Omnivorousness (humor). Plus
     Beyond Veg Light Bulb Jokes. (Yes, there are two on
     Paleodieters, for your delectation.)

     Ape Diets: Myths, Realities, and Rationalizations.

     Which Omnivore Diet? The "Omnivorism = Western Diet"
     Fallacy.

     The Cornell China Project: Examining the Vegan Claims.

     Rationalizations in Response to the Evolutionary &
     Hunter-Gatherer Evidence for Omnivorous Diets.

Note: If you do have something you need to ask, contact me
privately at the address below and I will attempt to
respond, though I might be a little slow depending on what
the private email load in reaction to the site turns out to
be.

Ward Nicholson / Beyond Veg site editor