From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:00:45 -0700

> For me the "low carb" diet is complicated by the fact that I don't
>really eat meat.  (I am an animal lover, what can I say? ;-)

I mean no offence to your feelings or beliefs but:

There is nothing "kind" about not eating meat.  Domestic animals depend
on our eating them for their very existence.  Most animals their size are
in danger of extinction or have already become extinct because of man's
habit of sterilizing and eroding their habitat through the plow to grow
his plant crops (eating more plants only increases this problem). As 65%
of the worlds agricultural land is suitable only for grazing these
animals and not capable of producing more profitable plant crops, humans
are also dependent on them to avoid mass starvation.  Domestic meat
animals also enjoy a much longer average life span than their wild
counterparts (most of whom die from predation, starvation or disease long
before they reach maturity) and die a much less painful death (see any
documentary film on predators).  They also lead a much less stressful
life without having to beware of predators or parasites and the constant
stress of weather conditions and food scarsities.

Of course humans suffer from vegetarianism as well.  It is considered the
worlds leading cause of birth defects and mental retardation in children
(see Oct. 91 Scientific American pg.96 or Nov.2 '1980 Journal of Applied
Nutrition pg.53).  It also results in a lack of muscle development and
mental acuity in adults making it a favorite tool of cult leaders in
dominating their followers (see "Mein Kampf").  Consumers also suffer as vegetarians spend more on high-profit
foods than do meat eaters.

BTW, the behaviors we call "humane" are commonally found only in
carnivorous pack animals (such as ourselves).

Ray Audette
Author"NeanderThin"
Former animal ambulance driver and licenced Falconer