NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sandra Sheeley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 May 2000 12:11:36 -0700
For those of you with severely milk-allergic children, I was wondering what type of experiences you have had with McDonald's or other similar restaurants' play areas?  Also, I was wondering if anyone has experienced a reaction to air-borne food particles?

I have usually avoided these areas because my 22 month old son gets hives from any skin contact with milk or anything that has had milk on it.  He has never had a more systemic reaction, but he has not ingested anything with ANY type of milk or milk dirivative in it since he was 4 months old.  I guess I was feeling a little more daring today because he has not even gotten hives for a couple of months (probably because we are extremely careful).  So I took him to McDonald's to play.  He sneezed off and on the whole time we were there, and he began really rubbing his nose after about an hour.  When I got him to the car I realized that he was breaking out in hives all over his nose and across his forehead and cheeks.  Luckily a dose of Benadryl took care of the hives pretty quickly.  But his nose seemed to be really stuffy and his voice sounded a little funny on the way home.  Since he didn't get any hives on his hands, arms, or legs (the parts which would have been touching all the play equipment) I am wondering if he could have reacted to air-borne food particles.  I have heard that this is possible and am curious to hear of any similar experiences.

Thanks for all the tips and advice.

Sandy