NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Suggs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 20:19:20 -0700
Rachelle,
Thank you for your response.  I know no one personally with this type of
milk reaction.  Everyone I try to explain it to tries to talk about
lactose or tell me he'll outgrow it.  I know it has nothing to do with
lactose, and I am doubtful that he will outgrow it.  I have had to learn
a lot, and it really has been good for me to learn about different
substitutions and other foods I had never heard of.  I learned of a grain
called quinoa that is high in calcium and I bought some but haven't quite
incorporated it into his diet yet.  How does your son get adequate
calcium?

Also, what kind of effects do you mean (when eating some dairy baked in),
as in behavioral, etc.?  Like hyper? Whiney?

I exclusively breast fed Dallin for the whole first year, but I was
eating and drinking as much dairy as I wanted.  I did a two week trial of
staying off of those things when he was about 9 or 10 months and didn't
see any difference so i went back.  He has always been a very happy
content baby.  One of my best, or I would even say my best, and that's
out of 5!  Whenever I read about babies allergic to milk they say the are
very fussy, crying all the time, etc.

Well, I guess for now it would be best to keep him off of any form of
milk, at least while he's still to young to really tell me how he
feels,etc.  He could feel sick to his stomach, but I wouldn't know it.

Thanks again,
Laurie

> Our son was born very allergic to milk also--with hives on his skin
> just
> from contact, not to mention the vomiting, etc. if ingested.  Even
> though
> for some reason butter baked into things has never produced any
> outward
> reaction we have always felt it better to totally avoid giving him
> anything
> with dairy in it because I have always felt that inside it causes
> behavior
> changes and other not very positive effects.  He is now 8 years old
> and we
> find that a small amount of milk cooked into things (this seemed to
> be ok
> around age 4) has no outward reaction, so if we are out I let him
> have
> things at birthday parties, etc. just so he can be like everyone.
> But
> still at age 8 we have no dairy in the house for him.
>
> It really is a pain to cook everything special but I do feel it
> better
> until a child's system is more developed.
>
> You are always welcome to ask me question privately.
>
> Rachele Shaw

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.