NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ynr Chyldz Wyld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 May 2000 08:01:47 -0400
From: <[log in to unmask]>
> > prepared foods myself.  When eating out, I've selected foods carefully
> > (mostly plain steak, baked potato, and steamed vegetables or salad with
> > my own dressing).  I'd appreciate any tips on how to manage 4 days of
> > eating in restaurants and the anniversary party.  I won't have access to
> > a refrigerator either.
>
> Even with those foods, you have to be careful.  Some places (Outback is
> one) brush or dip steaks in clarified butter before cooking them.  Some
> places brush potatos with butter and wrap them in foil to cook them.

Yes, I've found one usually has to ask for specifics when ordering in
restaurants...but I've always found restaurant staff more than helpful when
I tell them I have an allergy...

So don't hesitate to tell your waiter or waitress of your allergy, and have
them check with the chef how each item is prepared...don't take a wait
person's word for it if they DON'T check back in the kitchen, e.g. don't
ask how the potato is prepared and accept the waiter or waitress opining
"Oh, I'm sure it's just a baked potato, with no butter or milk in it..."

MAKE the wait person doublecheck with the kitchen on the specifics of how
each part of the meal you wish to order is prepared, and don't hesitate to
ask for changes...there is no reason they can't bake a potato for you that
is brushed with oil instead of butter.  They can forgo putting in your salad
the croutons which have been coated with grated cheese and perhaps toasted
in butter.  No reason your meat or fish or chicken can't be coated with oil
instead of butter before broiling.  Ask about any sauces a dish may come
coated with...there is no reason not to ask (and not to expect the restaurant
to follow your wishes) to forgo any sauces, or at the very least to serve the
sauce on the side...

June