From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 16:18:26 -0700
Anna Abrante wrote:

>Adapt in what sense?...We have very long living contemporary primitive
>agriculturalists eating grains and milk , albeit in VERY different forms
that
>we eat
>in this country.   Considering that they're living long lives, what do they
>have to
>adapt to???? For what???   What are they doing wrong??? What are they
>missing??

I understand that there are healthy people who eat dairy and cereal grains
and are long lived.  I just tend to ask whether or not their lives might be
better, if not longer, while on a paleo diet (more efficient, more
energetic, less minor health irritations, aches, pains, allergies etc.).
It's only a question, and the answer for some or all may be "no."

Nobody is arguing that you can't have good health without paleo, and that
paleo is the only way.  I don't know why you remain bent on getting someone
to admit that.  For me, paleo is more of a matter of trying to improve the
odds of eating a diet that suits my genes.

>In Boyd's "Paleolithic Prescription", he includes neolithic foods as a
modern
>equivalent to the past paleo diet, ie milk and grains. In fact, his numbers
are apx 60%
>carbs, including grains, 20% protein, and 20% fats.  How can he call that
> paleolithic? Is he just ripping off a catchy title? ......

He has since said that he would temper or completely delete the inclusion of
cereal grains and dairy.  In the book, the authors DO write that cereal
grains and dairy were not part of the paleolithic diet.  I think that the
inclusion of these items was put into play by his co-authors as sort of a
compromise in favor of dietary practicality and perhaps the preservation of
some fraction of the dietary status quo (for whatever lame reason).  Other
than this one big mistake (IMO), I think that "Paleolithic Prescription"
contains lots of interresting and valuable information, and that is an
excellent book for anyone interrested in "paleo" eating or nutrition in
general.  I simply ignored some of the dietary recomendations and drew my
own conclusions, and would urge anyone to whom I recommend the book to do
the same.

B. Lischer