From:
Bernard Lischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:52:18 -0700
>The Nutrition Analysis Tool protein needs are listed as 50grams
>protein for that woman, which gives 0.83 grams per kilo weight if you
>assume that woman to have 60 kg of bodyweight.
>
>This is a rather conservative (high) protein need assumption.
>German and most European recommendations are similar,
>and RDA is similar too. This NAT seems to use the RDA requirements.

0.83 g/kg/d is not "conservative," at least where the RDA is concerned.
Here is a relevant excerpt from the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition
(1997) from a paper called "Paleolithic nutrition revisited:  A twelve year
retrospective on its nature and implications" by SB Eaton, SB Eaton III and
MJ Konner.

"Retrodicted protein intake for Paleolithic humans, typically above 30% of
daily energy (table 1), is hard to reconcile with the 12% currently
recommended for Americans.  The RDA is actually a range, 0.8-1.6 g/kg/d,
which contrasts with 2.5- 3.5 g/kg/d for Stone Agers.  Observed protein
intake for other primates, such as chimpanzees, gorillas, baboons, and
howler monkeys, is also higher than that advocated by human nutritionists
and ranges from 1.6- 5.9 g/kg/d in the wild (Casimir, 1975;  Coelho et al,
1976;  Hladik, 1977;  Whiten et al, 1991).  Furthermore, veterinary
recomendations for higher primates in captivity also substantially exceed
the RDA for Americans (Panel on nonhuman primate nutrition, 1978).  It would
be paradoxical if humans, who, during evolution, added hunting and
scavenging skills to their higher primate heritage, should now somehow be
harmed as a result of protein intake habitually tolerated or even required
by their near relatives."

The authors continue the protein discussion by developing the idea that
differences (compared to SAD) in the stone age diet and lifestyle probably
made consumtion of high levels of protein safe.  They mention the ratio of
protein to carbohydrate (higher than SAD) and its effects on insulin and
glucagon and the subsequent possibility of eicosanoid modulation.  In
summary they write:

"A dietary protein level of 30% total energy may be harmful when the diet
also includes excessive sodium and insufficient potassium, especially if
operative nutritional and exercise patterns promote obesity.  When the
individuals involved are lean, normotensive and non-diabetic, abundant
dietary protein may be beneficial."

I, personally, aim at around 2 - 3 lbs of meat per day (probably averages
2.25 lbs) and about 3 lbs of vegetables.  This yields between 180 and 280 g
of protein.  My weight is a somewhat lean (18% bodyfat) 100 kilos.

B. Lischer