From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:23:13 -0500
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, C. Loon wrote:

> Finally, I made my first batch of beef jerky! I slung slices of meat over a
> hangar wire and left them in the oven, door open, at 140°. It took 1 1/2
> days because I'm paranoid about leaving the oven on when I'm not home. I
> seasoned them with curry powder and lots of fresh black pepper. Result:
> tasty, but too tough; next time I'll try a marinade to tenderize.

I bought a product for making jerky from ground meat.  It's a
cylindrical "gun", like a caulk gun, that extrudes the ground
meat through a nozzle (flat or round), which you then cut into
strips on your dehydrator trays.  The result is strips of jerky
that are quite tender.  An additional benefit of using ground
meat is that it is easier to mix the seasoning in.

You can either use the leanest possible ground meat from your
meat counter (usually 93% lean) or, if you are concerned about E.
Coli, buy a hunk of lean meat, such as a London Broil, and ask
the butcher to grind it for you on the spot.

I use this stuff as part of a portable lunch.  The other part is
nuts, salted if I'm doing ketosis, otherwise unsalted.

Todd Moody