C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 07:38:35 -0400
Good Morning,

        I want to share someone's story from another list! Insight and
inspirational.

                         Brightest Blessings - Trisha

 I found myself in a very familiar environment with lots of P.T. and O.T.
 professionals, a receptionist, lots of equipment and a waiting area.
 EXCEPT I was the patient and not my brave 5 y/o !!!!! Imagine that!!!

 I was being evaluated for knee pain and an inability to perform normal
 household tasks and my normal activity level.

 My daughter told me to be brave and asked me if I wanted to hold her
 large brown teddy bear!!! (How precious) and she was serious. She
 understood the feeling well---you know the apprehension, the fear of the
 unknown, white coats being associated with pain. What is a steady part
 of her life was now (tables turned) something she could help me face!!!!

 I received the DX of Patellofemoral Syndrome and was told that it would
take a long time, but thru excercise I could build my muscle strength and
flexibility back to where I might be able to again enjoy my 3 miles a day
walk that I missed so much, and again do normal household chores - like
laundry that required 3 flights of stairs to be climbed) I realized that my
daughter could not say the same thing. She labors each day withher
excercises just to maintain partial muscle function, endures surgery, serial
casting, testing, and much more and she will never be able to say that she
can return to what she has never known the ability
 for her muscles to perform normally the way the body was designed to
perform.
What a morning for clarity of reality!!!
And, then the P.T. handed me my Home Excercise Log and on it to the fa
right was this circle and in it was the following words.

A ROUND TUIT
This is a round tuit
Guard it with your life.
Tuits are hard to come by.
Especially the round ones.
It will help you become a much more efficient exerciser.
For years we've heard patients say,
"I'll do this when I get a round tuit."
So, now that you have one you can accomplish all those things
you put off until you got a ROUND TUIT.

A think I'll put this into a craft idea and give to my family and friends.

"A funny thing happened today", today, I became the pupil and my
daughter became my teacher, confidant, and my encouragement!!!

Our kids are great!!!, aren't they??? Praise them, hug, and kiss them
(if they'll let you), love them like there is no tomorrow and treasure
each moment and each inspirational gift they bring us.

From a very grateful and truely loved mom  - Laura