From:
"Rebecca W. Buffum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 12:11:19 -0700

Dear List-

I am so sorry for not summarizing earlier!! To be honest, I just totally
forgot. lame excuse, but true. Anyway, in cleaning out old e mail I came
across the responses I received and realized that I never summarized or
sent proper "Thanks"!

Almost all of the responses were from people with the same question
asking that I summarize what I learned. The three answers I got were :

1. No- allergies do not damage the villi. This is specific to celiac.

2. Alergies tend to manifest outside the body, while intolerances, like
celiac, usually manifest within the body.

3. Soy and milk protein are the only allergies that can damage villi.

I also got a few responses that were words of support and "hang in
there"- Thanks!!

So- as for me- I'm trying to be very strict about gluten but not
worrying as much about those "allergies". There are only two foods that
I notice any reaction to- eggs and garlic- so I avoid those when
possible.

so sorry again for the delay- and a big Thank you to all of you!

Becca