From:
Susan Carmack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 09:31:46 -0700
Hi Mary,

After I read Cancer, Disease of Civilization I went out and bought Hunza
Health Secrets for long life and happiness by Renee Taylor. It is a
delightful read and there is a website.
I think the Hunza way of life is successful in spite of the grains and
dairy because the whole, unrefined grains used were mostly gluten free
grains like buckwheat, millet and 'small grains'  and the wheat and barley
were closer to the low gluten grains like spelt. Chapattis are made of
these grains by the Hunzas.
The diet also consisted of large amount of apricot products as well as
apricot seed oil that is very nutritious. The milk came mostly from the yak
and less from the goats and cows. They made lassi, or buttermilk and yogurt
and ghee through natural fermentation.
Pesticides are outlawed.

All the best,
Susan