From:
Louise Steen-Sprang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:55:24 -0500

Here is a summary of the baking tips people sent me, and the recipes they
recommended that are in cookbooks. The recipes people sent me are in the
next (and final!) email message.
Louise

Baking Tips
- I made pizza last night on a pizza stone.  I use the French Bread Pizza
Mix from the Gluten Free Pantry.  I doubled the recipe, though, and
almost burned up the motor on my heavy duty KitchenAid mixer.  But the
pizza crust came out fine.  I don't know if you already tried this mix or
not.  I just roll it out right on the stone, then let it rise, then top
and bake.

- I have been using two different crusts.  I make the yeast, thick crust
one from Betty Hagmans first book and also use the French Bread mix from
Gluten-Free Pantry (recipe for pizza crust on the back).

- several others have suggested the Hagman recipe and some included
suggestions for how to improve it.

- suggestions of how to improve this Hagman recipe.
#1 My favorite is the thick yeast-rising crust in Bette Hagman's first book -
I think it's page 163 or 164.  Calls for 4 egg whites, 2 c.  white rice flour
and 2 c.  tapioca flour.  Wonderful!  I have modified her recipe a bit - once
I've made up the dough (and I use a Kitchen Aid stand-mixer for this), I
spread it out on a large airbake cookie sheet, either with a spatula, or even
with a piece of kitchen plastic sprayed with Pam (Pam-side down on the dough,
of course).  The plastic lets you push the dough around without getting your
hands goopy.  Once the dough is spread out, I shake some Mrs.  Dash on it and
let it rise in a warm place for about 20 minutes.  Then I bake it at the
specified temperature (400?)  for about 20-25 minutes, or until it's golden
on top.  Pull it from the oven, top with your favorite sauce, cheese,
veggies, etc., and bake again until the cheese is melted.  This is true
comfort food in my book.  Satisfies all kinds of cravings.  And, my husband
_raves_ about the taste (says it's better than lots of pizzeria pizzas).  I
found that until I added the first baking step, that I didn't like the crust
texture as well, and it didn't rise as well (Bette's recipe calls for putting
everything on at once).  I'm sure you could do this one on a stone, and you'd
probably get a nice crisp crust on the bottom; I just haven't tried out my
pizza stone yet.  :-) I also use this recipe for focaccia (spread with olive
oil and dried herbs; prepare and bake the same way); you can even use this
for breadsticks - dump the dough into a 1-gallon ziploc bag, clip one of the
bottom corners off and use the ziploc as a pastry bag to pipe out breadsticks
as large or small as you please.  Baking time may be different.  Another mom
of a celiac in our group (Alice Kelley, a baking maven) uses this dough to
make cinnamon rolls, covering the dough with cinnamon and sugar.

#2 more advice on how to use this Hagman recipe (on a stone)
         The thick crust recipe I use is in her first book "Gluten Free Gourmet"
and is called "Thick Yeast Crust" I think.  I spread the dough out on a
greased (very well greased) cookie sheet, bake it for about 8 minutes,
then spread a light coating of olive oil on and add the toppings.  Then I
slide the whole thing onto my pizza stone and finish baking.  It is
fantastic.  My kids are very picky non-celiac eaters and they love it --
even warmed up.  My Mom was here over the holidays and because she
doesn't live nearby and I was diagnosed only a year ago, she hasn't
sampled many GF recipes.  She was somewhat skeptical of my pizza, but one
bite and she said "This is really good!."

- The thin crust I like best is in Bette Hagman's third book "The Gluten
Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy."  It is the "Bean Flour Pizza
Crust".  The batter is very thin and threatens to run off the cookie
sheet, but stops short.  Again, my picky kids love it.  I haven't tried
it on a stone because of the thin batter, but it would probably work
after baking for a short time. In both cases, you have to grease the
cookie sheet VERY well, or it sticks.  (Side note - I have tried this one
and it is pretty tasty; I wasn't able to get it cripsy though.)

- I kind of like the Gluten-free Pantry pizza crust.  I roll it
out thin, though, because when it is thick it tastes a little too much
like a gluten-free product.  Thinner seems better to me.  I tried the
premade ones from Kinninnick foods.  I don't exactly what I thought of
them.  They were okay, but had a weird aftertaste, and I am not sure why
that was.  The Gluten-free pantry ones turn out very sticky, though so I
end up using parchment paper with cornmeal on it.  I don't know if you
have tried it or not.  Good luck to you.  The gf pantry webpage is
www.glutenfree.com

- My husband likes one from Bette Hagmans 2nd cookbook, "More From the
Gluten Free Gourmet".  Go to page 259 and read.  She tells how to use
her crumpet recipe as a pizza crust.  There is also one from the 1st
cookbook, page 161.

- I use Bette Hagman's pizza crust recipe on my pizza stone and it works
great every time!  It rises up beautifully and my non-GF husband will eat
it without complaining (he's picky).  It's called "Easy Pizza" and is on
page 241 of the hardback edition of her "The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks
Fast and Healthy".

- Use a french bread recipe from bette hagmans gluten free gourmet
but grease the pizza pan and sprinkle corn meal on the pan than roll out
the dough now this is important !!! bake the crust until it raises
slightly and forms a slight crust than spread your ingredients on the
crust the longer you bake it the fluffier the crust the shorter the
chewier ect - with a little practice you will get good

- Try this one: http://kitchenlink.com/chframed/rightsds.html
So far, it's the best one I've made.

- Another person sent the full recipe from the above Website and also
said it's the best recipe out there.  You can get it from the website of
I'll email it to you if anyone wants it.  The person who emailed the recipe
had these comments about making it. "Total preparation=3D40 minutes Serves
4 (we double recipe for 3 people and have 2 slices left over.  On an
enclosed cookie sheet, it makes 8 pieces.

- I use my pizza stone with either Bette Hagman's recipe for pizza crust or
the
mix from the Gluten Free Pantry.  They both have the "cake batter" consistency
that you have probably experienced, but I spread them onto parchment baking
paper and slide the parchment paper onto the baking stone.

- >I don't prefer the mixes.  Instead you can use your favorite bread recipe,