From:
norbert1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:53:42 -0600

Dear Listmates,

Since this is flu season and I recently had a nearly fatal problem with
dehydration, I wanted to call some attention to this side-effect of CD.  I
thought that since it had happened to me before (after an attack of
pancreatitis), I knew the symptoms well enough so I could cope.  I was wrong
again.

On the day after Christmas I began having intestinal flu symptoms.  I used
Imodium and Lomotil and Pepto-Bismol with only slight relief.  I went to the
Urgent Care Center two days later and the Dr. told me that I wasn't
dehydrated (I knew I was) and put me on a mixture of Donnatal and Paragoric.
The dose he prescribed (1 Tablespoon) made me very nauseous and I began to
vomit.

On New Year's Eve, I began having a real problem making a decision about what
I should do.  I had previously explained to my husband the danger signs, but
he hadn't put them together either.  To shorten the story- I went to the ER
with collapsed veins.  They called a surgeon who came in at 10 p.m. and
started the iv in my jugular (not a nice thing).  After 4 days of iv therapy
(at one time they had 8 bags of fluid going); a heart monitor and a bed in
Acute/ICU, I was released and saved once again.

I cannot stress how important it is to try to stop the diarrhea and vomiting
before your fluids are totally depleted.  I thought I knew how--water and
Gator Aide,, but they only served as placebos.  No amount of ingested fluid
could keep up with my losses.  I am happy to still be here and able to issue
this warning.  I forgot to say I had a 103 temp., but my mind was so
sluggish, I couldn't even think to take gf aspirin to try to ease it.  Please
bear in mind the advice the ER doctor gave me:  Even though other people in
your house or office have a "little flu" that lasts a day or two, their
problems are not the same as yours are.  Compound the danger by up to 100
times and you will get an idea of how severe the infection can be.  (This
piece of advice should also be shared with relatives and friends of the
celiac-particularly the insensitive, macho ones who say it will get better
after 24 hours).

Children are at an even greater risk.  The medics now are saying that you can
tell if patients are seriously dehydrated by checking their tongue.  A shiny
tongue means you are getting enough fluids, while a cracked, bumpy tongue
means dehydration.  Another sign is dark urine or a decrease in the amount of
urine.  Dry eyes and skin can also be tip-offs.  Heart palpitations are not
uncommon.  A decrease in blood pressure when standing and a very rapid pulse
can also signal the severity of the dehydration.

I pray that the rest of the flu season will be mild and spare all of us.

Rose Mary