NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 15:49:10 -0500
I never had much success with predecessor products -- Lactaid 70 & 99. I'm
very skeptical that you would get 100% lactose free milk. It also depends
on how intolerant you are. My LI morphed eventually into a form of dairy
allergy and I have to avoid whey proteins but not casein (which is probably
the more common milk allergen). May I suggest Vitamite as a substitute. It
tastes very close to milk and is excellent for even severely LI people. You
can buy it in powder form by mail from a place in Ohio if you can't find it
in liquid form at a local supermarket or health food store. I've seen it at
a Ralphs in California if that is any help.

I'm also very lucky that there now about 4 brands of soy milk that are very
close to milk in taste and can be bought locally here in Toronto. Good
enough for my corn flakes in the morning, and that is a very tough taste
test for me <g>. Since I assume you live in the US, I suggest your consider
Vitamite. I can give you their address & phone number if you are interested.

Don M