From:
Paul Wittry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:11:50 -0800
---Reply to mail from David Gillett about [PCBUILD] 30 Pin SIMM Question

> On  9 Dec 98 at 20:43, Paul Wittry wrote:
>
>   Three possibilities spring to mind:
>
> 1.  These are 72-pin SIMMs, but non-parity and so the manufacturer
> hasn't bothered to provide contacts for the unused pins.  Doesn't
> seem very likely, but it's a possibility.

Nope, sounds a little far fetched to me. Although, just because I
haven't seen anything like this before, doesn't mean much. (I hadn't
seen these 4x9 64pin SIMMs before either.)

> 2.  This is somebody's proprietary SIMM-like memory arrangement.
> Proprietary memory arrangements are particularly common in laptops,
> although I've also seen them in some IBM models....

This sounds about right. There is something about the sound of the
word "proprietary" that just feels right. ;-)

> 3.  This might be something like a COAST cache module, which uses
> static RAM rather than dynamic -- but I don't think those were ever
> made larger than 512K, and they go into a slot that's a bit different
> from a SIMM socket.

No, here too. I've got a "new" (never used) mainboard here with that
very thing, 265K SRAM module. Also, an old Gateway 486SX-25 Desktop
with a 64K SRAM module.

Thanks alot David, for the response. I was wondering if someone would
come up with a theory that sounded convincing. If anyone else out
there knows what they are used for I'd like to know.

Just curious,
Paul

---End reply
--
Paul Wittry <[log in to unmask]>
<[log in to unmask]><[log in to unmask]>

>>>What if there was a national election, and nobody voted ?<<<

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html