From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:52:24 -0500
Hugh Vandervoort wrote:

> Can anyone give me the lowdown on how faster than 33.6K connections
> work?
> I've sent alot of time trying to get my V90 modem to connect at faster than
> 28.8 and have come to the conclusion it's in the hands of the Gods.

The process isn't all that mysterious really.

You have a modem, your ISP has a modem, in between the two modems is the
telephone company's network.  The quality of the connection within the
telephone
company's network has a direct impact on the highest speed you can use with
your modem.

At your house, the modem is connected to an analog (read that as voice grade)
telephone connection.  At some point, the phone company will convert that
analog signal into a digital signal (usually the main trunk line).  And
-ideally- will convert the signal back to an analog circuit just before it
enters your ISP's building.  With this perfect scenario, you should be able to
achieve near 56K speeds.

Unfortunately most TEL COs do not have complete digital networks, so there will
be several conversions from A to D and from D to A along the pathway.  Each
conversion (in either direction) decreases the quality of the signal being
sent,  thereby forcing the modems to transmit at a slower rate.

--
Jim Meagher
=====