Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 12:36:30 -0500
Brian said:

>Well let me tell ya a story. :) Marking a cluster as bad is done in the fat
>table so if you do a format /c (other than with a DDO) that will clear the
>bad sectors. Installing the DDO(Maxblast) will do that by default. A word

Excellent. That's what I wanted to hear! Infact, Maxblast did the job. Do
most hardware manufacturers make this type of software available now? If so,
what's the advantage of usinga third party program like let's say, partition
magic?

>of caution. if you use ANY utility on the HD make sure that you follow the
>proper FLOPPY boot procedure. If you don't you will lose data. What I am

I know. I buggered it up  the first time. I found Maxtor to have excellent
documentation on these procedures. Although I accidentaly re-booted when I
shouldn't have, the process recovered and everything was fine.

Now on boot up, I get a small message saying the EZ BIOS has been loaded.
Any way, for a second machine  the thing is operating SMOOTH now! It's a
386DX with 8 MB RAM, running Windows 3.1, Borland C++ 5, dBASE 4.5 and a
whole slew of other hefty programs.

Everyone did a great job in providing some helpful tips!

Guido Piraino

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]