From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 21:59:26 -0500
Camilo Giraldo wrote:

> Hello fellows:
> A customer called me last night to go a fix her computer at the office.
> The problem is that when trying to open any program, a certain number of
> messages appear on the screen, such as "this program performed an
> illegal operation...", or "missing veg.dll", etc.  This happens with all
> the software in her machine (over 45 different programs under win95).

CheckIt is a nice HARDWARE test program.  But your client has SOFTWARE
problems.  You have been looking in the wrong direction.

"...missing xxxx.dll...."  means that one or more files have been
deleted from the hard disk (or possibly just moved to a different
folder) in your particular case it means the file veg.dll is lost.

"...illegal operation...." means there is a software conflict.

It sounds as if someone has tried to do some "back-door housekeeping"
and lots of needed files were removed or moved around.

Try using scandisk to correct the problems but if 45 different programs
are messed up, then it looks like it's time to strip 'er down and start
all over.

--
Jim Meagher

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]