From:
Michael Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 12:41:20 -0600
At 08:41 AM 12/13/98 +0100, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Hello Michael and listers,
>
>In <3.0.6.32.19981212180204.0079a100@pop-server>, on 12/12/98
>   at 06:02 PM, Michael Gray <[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>I've been having problems with my system rebooting at random times
>>recently.
>
>In my experience, most "spontaneous reboots" seem to result from static
>electric discharges at the keyboard. I don't know what part of the world
>you are from, but if it is cold and dry there, check for wool clothing,
>synthetic-covered chairs, etc. Try wearing a grounding wrist-strap for
>awhile. I have keyboards that have a conducting space bar to discharge
>the static electricity when I touch them, but if I forget and grab for
>the mouse after rolling across the PVC floor on my rolling office chair
>my machines will often reboot. This phenomenon rarely happens in summer
>when the air is more humid. There are grounding mats to put on the floor
>in front of the computer and they do work.

I don't think this is (?was?) the problem, since the spontaneous reboots
happened even when I wasn't at the keyboard. After sending the original
message, it got to the point where the system would rebobt almost as soon
as it would boot up. This was with all the removable storage disconnected
(thought it might be a weak power supply.) I couldn't stand having this
happen, so checked all my connections, and found one of the memory chips
wasn't clicked into it's wire holder on one end. So far, it's been running
for > 12 hours without any problems (though it's slower since I removed the
chips on one memory bank.) If it runs for 24 hours like this, I'll go ahead
and do some reconnections. I still wish I had an answer about the PIO mode
before I reconnect the CDs, though.