From:
Michael Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 06:45:27 -0600
At 08:32 PM 1/1/99 -0500, Robbie wrote:
>Chris Niles wrote:
>
>> Check out this website. The author documents the "click of death" quite
well.

>> http://grc.com/clickdeath.htm
>>
>> Chris Niles
>>
>Here is another site too; I just recently had to exhange a zip=plus
>drive only 4 months old (external) which had had only 3 disks
>run through it.
>   Rob Chew            http://www.pcmech.com/zip-click.htm

These are very interesting sites, especially since several of my Zip disks
are clicking now. Got the check utility but haven't had time to run it yet.
Is anybody else's drive clicking when not being accessed? Mine will do a
single click once an hour or so (I figure it's the fast find utility going
out to see if any data has been written or some such thing.)

One of these sites mentions the disk check utility available in My Computer
or from the explorer. This reports the one disk I've checked recently as
being OK, but under NT there's another check box to run the defrag utility
(if installed.) I've been unable to find a defrag utility that'll run under
NT. Anyone know a site that's got such a utility? I did a search on
Microsoft's site but the links either were bad or led to something other
than what I needed.

So far, I've found zip disks to be MUCH more reliable than Syquest's Sparq
disks. All of my Sparq disks have developed errors after a couple of months
of use - so many that I've given up on using that media for any sort of
reliable use. 3 gig of storage for $100 seems like a good deal until you
can't retrieve what you wrote to them.

I've since decided to invest in a CD-RW which has it's own quirks under NT.
I haven't figured out whether it's the CD or the Adaptec software yet, but
trying to copy files to a formatted CD with Adaptec's DirectCD software
always gives me a CD that reports a 'unknown format' error (the same
software works fine under Win98.) I've only used TDK CD-Rs so far (don't
want to destroy a more expensive CD-RW disk.)