From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:20:15 -0400
Thanks for your informations and references on the topic.

Here my little compilation on w-3 and polyunsaturated fats.

I try a little rehearsal of the known facts.
In foods there are 3 types of fats:
Saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated.
Too much of saturated fats in relation to other fats can cause severe
health problems like heart and coronary deseases(a no 1 killer of today).
Too much of saturated fats  come from the following sources:
- animal fats of farmed animals
- dairy
- some plant fats(coconut, palm oil)

Monounsaturated fats are the "good ones" and represent a healthy and
desireable caloric intake.
High monounsaturated fats come from olive oil, canola oil, avocado.
Most plant fats have a high monounsaturated fat content in relation to
the saturated part.
Monounsaturated fats can help problems that come from the
wrong polyunsaturated and of a too much of saturated fats.

Polyunsaturated fats are essential for the body and must come from the
food. So they are vitamins. My references list a need of about 10 g/day.
Polyunsaturated divide in w-3 and w-6 fats.
Studies show, that the relation of w-3 to w-6 fats should not go
too far to the w-6 fat side. Otherwise cancer and other risks emerge.
w-3 fats come from several plant and animal resources.
Animal sources can contain DHA(22:6) and EPA(22:5) an ALA(18:3).
Plant sources can contain ALA (18:3, Alpha Linolenic acid).
The human body can build DHA and EPA out of ALA.
Good sources of w-3 fats are fish oils, canola oil, flaxseed oil,
walnuts, brazil nuts and and dark green leafy vegetables.

Are you still d'accord and with me?

Ok, so far, now my paleolithic implications and conclusions.....