BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 08:02:16 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From:   Walli Haley [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   December 23, 1998 12:32 AM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Need advice on Mortar!

Folks, I need your expert advice. I got an e-mail from Murdo Morrison, a gentleman
from Scotland (!) who is asking about re-building a fireplace in his 1880 granite-built
house. He wants to use the fireplace's original "baby briquettes."  His question involves
the right kind of mortar.

He says, "I have seen modern synthetic mixtures that are used on new fireplaces and
they don't look authentic." He wants to know "what mixture needs to be used to bond
the briquettes together?"

He adds, "I have found that most of the old guys that would have done this type of work
in the past are no long with us and modern stone masons just use modern fireclay cement
which doesn't look right on a Victorian fireplace."

He describes this fireplace as "a one-piece, casts-iron, art-nouveau unit with the original
tiles intact."

If anyone can help Mr. Morrison, please e-mail him directly at

or  [log in to unmask]

Of course, feel free to share your knowledge with the whole list-serve!

Thanks in advance!

Walli Haley
El Paso Preservation Alliance
http://www.eppa.org

---
You are currently subscribed to forum-l as: [[log in to unmask]]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to [log in to unmask]