From:
Junior Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 12:27:02 -0400

Hi All,

From the archives I got an article by Leo Galland about testing for Celiac
using a test called Intestinal Permeability.  It uses two sugars.  One that
is normally readily absorbed and one that is normally not absorbed at all
(particles too large).  About 5 hours after taking the solution, a urine
sample is taken.  If there is lots of the sugar with large particles, leaky
gut.  If there is none of either, poor absorbtion.  If the test works it
would make sense to me.  Has anyone used it or does anyone have any first
hand info?  The article listed a lab that did the test:  Great Smokies
Diagnostic Laboratory in Asheville, NC.  I called the company.  The tests
have to be ordered by a doctor.  My doctors don't seem to know about CD, I'm
wondering if one of them would order the test for me.  The lab also does the
anti-gliadin antibodies test from Saliva.  The lab has a website:
http://www.greatsmokies-lab.com/

Their phone no.  800-522-4762.  They will mail you sample materials and you
mail the sample back.  Even with insurance this might be expensive ( I didn't
get any prices).  If these tests work, seems there should be some way to set
up a process where large extended families could be screened.  I believe that
other members of my extended family have the problem but have never heard of
Celiac.

Junior Welch
Rutledge, Tn. USA