From:
Johanna Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 19:33:54 -0400

Hello listmates!

Has anyone ever been diagnosed with selective IgA deficiency yet have a
history of dermatitis herpetiformis, mild or otherwise?  I suffered from skin
rashes and anemia as a child and was put on a "gluten-free" diet for the
first 5 years of my life.  (Not bad for the early 1960's.)  After that, I
seemed cured.  Through my teens and 20's I had circular lesions off and on as
a result of over indulgence in the grains.  Scaly, classic locations on my
body, slow to appear, very slow to disappear, and always leaving a lingering
scar.  But they never itched.  These lesions became less prevalent through my
30's and disappeared entirely about 2 years ago .....  about the time I
bought a bread machine .....  since I no longer seemed to be allergic to
flour.

I battled anemia through my 20's, was officially misdiagnosed with rheumatoid
arthritis 10 months ago, became lactose intolerant 3 months ago, my weight
slipped to 89lbs (I'm 36 years and 5'1"), I'm starving all the time, have
occult blood in my stool, some osteopenia in a few places, and am scheduled
for a endoscopy/colonoscopy next week.  Oh, and scored all clear and negative
on the 3 antibody tests (IgA was 0.4, none detected; IgG was 0.1; and,
endomysial was <1:5.).  Doctor's nurse stated that all of my blood work was
"normal"; I'm not dying after all.

Could I have been slipping into IgA deficiency all of these years?  Could my
IgG be depressed as a result?  I am certain that gluten is the culprit and
have been gluten-free for nearly 3 months now, against my doctors good
wishes, The bone (?)  pain has decreased 90% and I've gained 3lbs.  Does
anyone have a familar tale?  I need weaponry.  The last doctor I saw, an
internist, refused to repeat the blood test and check for IgA deficiency ....
since I don't have CD because my blood work is normal and I don't have
diarrhea.  Dare these doctors crack a book?  Thank you in advance for any
help you may offer; I will summarize.